Engagement Strategy Director
The Engagement Strategy Director will be responsible for creative and innovative communication strategies, go-to-market approaches/channel thinking, and driving the maximum potential for creative ideas and media placements for Deutsch LA clients.
This person will need to lead the discipline to life for Deutsch LA. They will need to challenge and inspire creative teams, encouraging teams to think differently about how channels can work to enhance what they’re making, as well as demonstrate an understanding of how media can be used to give ideas an extra dimension.
They will use data, brand strategy and media expertise to identify areas where the creative idea can be extended into places and the message can be at its most powerful and resonant. It is about extending the creative idea in ways that go beyond pure efficiency and become more intimate with the core audience’s life.
Rather than running one or two accounts, the Director will work project-by-project across the majority of business in the agency, as well as the occasional pitch. Part strategy, part creative, and part media, this is a high profile and vital role.
The Director will work hand-in-hand with several groups at the agency to make this a reality: Brand Strategy/Account Planning Group to help understand the business, the consumer and the true problem; Data Strategy to bring the customer journey to life; Media Planning to connect the idea/message architecture to channel approaches; and Creative Teams to provide inspiration and drive idea extensions.
A history in successfully activating innovative campaigns across all channels (online and offline) is a must, as well as a thorough understanding and background in Engagement Strategy/Communications Planning. The candidate must have a proven record of participating in and winning new business pitches, growing client business, as well as a history of strong client relationships and client retention. This position reports to the CSO, LA office and the EVP Director of Media, LA office.
· Creating and communicating a POV that establishes the standards for engagement planning as an agency function
· Assessing the resources/internal groups needed to build an effective engagement planning function at the agency
· Working with Strategy/Planning Directors, the Analytics Team, the Media Team and Creative Teams to be the connective tissue between all groups.
· Provide thought leadership in the following areas: consumer behavior, creative extensions, media ideas, emerging media, accountability and measurement
· Seek out potential additional data needs and other possible resource improvements to regularly improve the engagement strategy process
· Lead cross-discipline agency teams on the implementation of engagement and channel thinking
· Able to work closely with both creative and analytic teams – right and left brains – qualitative and quantitative skills
· Creative thinking and ability to thrive in a fast paced, creative environment
· Working knowledge and understanding of all channel disciplines, including Media, Shopper/Promotional, PR, Social, Experiential, Multicultural, etc
· Able to collaborate with agency partner teams
· Able to synthesize data and be an active problem solver
· Team player, positive attitude, energetic and driven
· Willing to get their hands dirty, and pull/analyze their own research to get to key insights (MRI, Social Listening, comScore, Industry Desktop research, etc)
· 10 + years of experience in advertising – with at least 4 years of direct engagement strategy/communications planning experience