Deutsch NY is seeking a Principal Engineer to join our creative technology team. You will work with a dynamic team of creative technologists pushing digital boundaries for clients including Acuvue, PNC bank, Draft Kings & Siemens.
The Principal Engineer is a hybrid role that includes the disciplines of a developer, application architect and team leader. The Principal Engineer manages technical execution of digital solutions ranging from application infrastructure to continuous deployment strategies. A successful Principal Engineer must be an effective communicator and possess the ability to balance technical leadership with hands-on development within a team environment. Qualified candidates are passionate about project delivery and consistently seek opportunities to improve code-quality and deployment processes.
This role also includes participation in business development efforts such as proposals, project estimation/scoping activities, and resource allocation.
Education: BA, BS or equivalent experience in Computer Science or similar area
- 6-8 years of experience as a lead front end and/or back-end developer
- 4-5 years of experience with continuous delivery processes
- 3-4 years of experience with cloud hosting platforms
- 3-4 years of leading complex projects from inception to launch
- Excellent user experience development knowledge: HTML/5, CSS/3, LESS, SASS, etc.
- Strong knowledge of back-end languages including: PHP, Node, Python, etc.
- Strong knowledge of data platforms: SQLServer, MySQL, MongoDB, AEM, etc.
- Strong experience with continuous integration systems: Jenkins, Cruise Control, etc.
- Experience with infrastructure automation tools: Docker, Chef, Ansible, etc.
- Experience managing version control systems including SVN and Git
- Team leadership experience
- Deep understanding of architecture and optimization of web-based applications
- Experience of working with large corporate platforms
- Demonstrated ability to balance workload of multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to oversee quality control
- Expertise in preparing proposals and presentations to all levels of a client's organization
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Leading and contributing to the analysis, development, and implementation of client solutions/projects (50%):
- Collaborate with UX & Creative teams to establish development requirements
- Collaborate on project schedules, milestones and budgets
- Development (front end and/or back end)
- Infrastructure automation setup and deployment
- Implementation of continuous delivery processes
- Risk management
- Attend and contribute to client meetings
- Team leader and mentor (40%):
- Create technical documentation
- Monitor and contribute to the overall development strategy on projects
- Conduct code reviews
- Oversee progress reporting to internal and client stakeholders
- Actively participate in client meetings
- Implement process and promote technology standards (10%):
- Implement systems for improving process and reliability of managed projects
- Establish code and platform implementation standards within Deutsch
- Promote collaboration processes with Creative and Quality Assurance teams
- Collaborate with the Technology and Creative to create prototypes with new technologies (10%):
- Create software and hardware prototypes in a group setting
- Experiment with new technologies and platforms
- Participate in Hack-a-thons and Tech Challenges
- Present prototypes and emerging technologies internally and at events
- Performs other reasonable and relevant activities and functions as requested and required